youth restored

Posted by TAWNY at 1:34 PM

Friday, September 12, 2008


It's a Christmas miracle. That's all there is to it.

If you read the post below, you would know about my little "jaunt" to Havasupai. And if you've been around me at all in the last month you've had the great fortune of hearing me talk about my knee. And how I can't run. Or hike. And how it has ruined my life.

I have a certain mentality that I am young and invincible. I am 22 years old and my body should be able to withstand anything. I should be able to climb a mountain or swim across a lake or get thrown across an arena by bull and be able to get up, dust myself off, and carry on my merry way. I should be able to hike 35+ miles over the weekend and not be affected. Thus far in my life this has rang true.

That is why having this ailment has been extremely disheartening. I was told by my Doctor (okay, nurse Val) that I was not to do anything physical or too outdoorsy until the knee stopped hurting. She also had me do a regimen of 600 mg of ibuprofen 3 times daily, along with heating my knee as often as I could. This routine provided relief (I no longer was limping around), but the pain would never fully go away.

I finally made the decision the last week of August to make an appointment to meet with an Orthopedic Surgeon. You know I've reached a point of desperation and/or "giving in" when I finally make an appointment to see a doctor. I just don't like them. But in any event, the date was set for September 5th.

If you've had the pleasure of visiting Cascade Springs up past Sundance, you would know that that place is very leisurely. The entire place is paved and not-hilly enough that even Kim can go around in her wheelchair. On September 1st, Labor Day, I was there for about 15 minutes just walking around and enjoying nature. At the end of this quarter-hour, my knee was aching and I was once again disheartened.

Cascade Springs

I decided that day that I was going to matters into my own hands. I headed to the local drug store (okay, Walmart) and picked up a bottle of "Triple Flex". I had heard rumors of the great miracles that glucosamine had done for aching joints. I figured I had nothing to lose and started my own treatment plan.


I started taking two pills a night before bed and watched for some signs of a difference. The changes were very subtle. But I decided that I would keep giving this a chance and I canceled my doctor's appointment. It didn't me long to convince myself that I didn't want to go to the doctor.

Then came Saturday September 6th; just five days after that beginning of my health plan. I woke up and didn't really have anywhere to be or anything to do. I watched three "Friends" episodes with Ally. Around noon I hit a point that only one who has lived a sedentary lifestyle for a month could hit. I decided it was time to test my "new knee" and go to the gym.

I knew it was risky considering how many times I had been told to take it easy. But as soon as I mounted the treadmill, I knew it had to be right. I started off slow, but gradually increased my speed. As I was running, I kept looking and feeling for signs of a sudden collapse. But none came. In fact, my knee felt really good. I had healed myself.


Since then, I have been to the gym a few times and my knee doesn't hurt. I'm not sure if I can completely give credit to the glucosamine, but who knows? All I know is that on Monday my knee hurt from walking around Cascade Springs, and by Saturday I was able to run pain-free at the gym.


A Christmas miracle? I should say so.


*Some of you may be thinking, "Tawny, couldn't you have wrapped that story up in one sentence: my knee was hurting so I took some pills and now I feel great." Yes, I suppose I could have just said that, but where's the fun in that?


1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay-
1. I can't beleive Val got you to take medicine.
2. I'm sorry you're such a baby. :)
and
3. You are probabaly just masking the pain and you should have kept your Dr. Appt.

Your really should call me daily so I can tell you what you should be doing with your life.