Capitol Reef

Posted by TAWNY at 9:17 PM

Wednesday, June 4, 2008

So a few weekends ago, the friends and I took off to Capitol Reef. For those of you unfamiliar, Capitol Reef is located about three hours southeast from Orem. My family camped here often when I was a youngster, but its been a few years since we've been in the area.
We normally try to camp at the Capitol Reef National Park (because its pretty much amazing), but it was full by the time we got there. But no worries, we headed a half hour up the Dixie National Forest and set up camp. It was pretty secluded, so we could be as noisy as we wanted.

On Saturday, the Crew hiked Sulphur Creek. This is one that the fam did a few years back, and it is one of my favorites. You hike along side (or in) this creek and you come to several waterfalls. The falls aren't too big, but tons of fun.

Me, Heather, and Katie strolling up the creek. And in this one, Danny carried me up like this the whole way. Not.

Just exploring the nooks and crannies of the rocks.

Here we are back in Torrey. This is the town right before you hit Capitol Reef, and let me tell you, this place rocks. Time moves just a little bit slower in Torrey. This little ditch runs along side the whole town. Here, my friends conned me into climbing onto this abandoned rope swing; assuring me they did the same. It wasn't until I was 15 off the ground that they fessed up and said they hadn't really gone up the swing. Great guys, how do I get down?



Mele, Tara, Sarah, and I checking out this Kiva in the middle of town. We also found these abandoned cars in the wilderness of Torrey. If the doors are wired shut, does it means "Keep Out"? Doubt it.

So, pretty much Capitol Reef, the Dixie National Forest, and good ole Torrey made for quite an enjoyable weekend. Apart from the fact that many of us were sick (refer to blog: "brink of death"), it was the kickoff to a great summer.

5 comments:

Tara said...

Torrey for life! Tawny, we should invest in a house down there when we get old enough. You know you want to! Imagine the awesome Torrey life we would live!

rhodesfamily said...

so your thoughts on the can of duster run deep. i would have to say i have often wondered what the point was, as well, but that doesn't stop me from enjoying every minute of blowing the dust all over my desk! (that is until i think i may lose a finger from frost-bite :) in fact, i'm about to clean my room, and am pulling out the can this minute....i can't wait! maybe if you read this in the next few minutes, you can join me! :) meg

RaKell said...

Tawny what happened to your babies???? Fun trip, you have fun friends.

Sarah C. said...

Yay Torrey! That Torrey life is amazing. I was just dreaming of sitting in front of the bandwagon and spitting seeds with Tara, Mele and you. Oh, what dreams.

Danielle said...

tawny. you are my long lost sister in the gospel and i am so happy i have found you. please be my blog friend. hope all is well.