quilt queen

Posted by TAWNY at 10:24 AM

Monday, June 29, 2009

So it's the first summer in about three years that I haven't taken classes. Believe me, it's a welcome change. Needless to say I have had a bit more extra time on my hands to pursue some new hobbies.

About two months ago Meg kept on trying to get me to start on a craft. She had started sewing some items, so I thought I would try it as well. Now, I have sewn a number of items in my 23 years, but I have never taken on a big project. I went to Hobby Lobby one night and picked out some fabric - not knowing just what I was getting myself into. Meg showed me a blog that featured a cool way of piecing fabric (http://www.ohfransson.com/oh_fransson/2008/05/did-you-see-me.html). It's called the crazy nine patch quilt. Take a look for yourself for a brief tutorial.

Anyway, what should have been a nice project that someone might take their time and spend months doing turned into an obsession of sorts. I started sewing like a mad woman. The square pictured above was one of about sixty that I made. I decided I was going to put together a quilt that would fit my queen-size bed.

After I was done making the squares and adding brown borders between each, I finally had the top ready. My good friend and mentor at work, Val, is a domestic genius. I took my quilt to her for the binding. She did what was called "stippling", as pictured above. She did such a beautiful job.


I had brown fabric for the back and then hand-stitched brown for the edges.

And here you see the final product that now rests on my bed. I am quite satisfied with myself.

7 comments:

The Robisons said...

DANG Tawana! That looks beautiful. I love everything except for that disgusting cat on your headboard. You did that just to tick me off didn't you? Wonderful job with the quilt. I'm so proud!

Steve and Dee said...

Wow! What else can I say other than "Wow!" (and "when will you have mine done?")

amber said...

way to go tawny!

Anonymous said...

Did you ever give Colt a "welcome to the world" gift???? I don't think so, hmmmm...what should you make, I mean give him??? Seriously though, I am so impressed!!!

rhodesfamily said...

It's beautiful-Val will be so proud!!

Lindsey Dunn said...

Hey Tawny it's Lindsey. Cute quilt I love it. How are ya? It is funny who you can gind by clicking on different peoples blogs ;)

Neisha said...

holy cow that is awesome!